The past does not define who you are today. Bad things have happened in your past but that does not make you a bad person. You define who you are. YOU make your choices to become something better. You cannot wallow in the past and be poor me.
As hard as it is, if you have to remember the good things. I know that is hard to do when you are depressed and down, but that is only going to bring you down further. Try to focus on the happy moments, try really hard. What makes you smile? Maybe, it is children laughing or a funny movie you watched. Find that movie and watch it again.
Yesterday happened and now it is over. You have today. We are not promised tomorrow. Focus on right now. How? Find things that make you happy. Here are some that I have found to help:
1. Babies laughing. Look up on YouTube “baby laughs.” You can’t help but to laugh yourself when you see babies laughing.
2. Talking with a friend. As hard as this is, pick up the phone and call (not just text) a friend. Their voice can be very calming. Make sure it is a friend that supports you in your mental illness. You don’t want to talk to someone who is going to bring you down further. You do not need that negativity.
3. Take a nap. Let your brain recharge. Set a timer for 2 hours and just sleep. Don’t sleep much longer as it will make it harder for you to sleep at night and then your mind becomes overactive and it is not restful.
4. Pet an animal. Reach out to your pet and just pet them. It shows your pet you care about them and makes you feel better too. If you do not have an animal, visit your local humane society and let them know you just need to pet some animals.
5. Watch a funny movie. Don’t let the seasons depict what to watch. If it is summer and there is a funny Christmas movie, watch it. Watch something to make you happy. Stay away from heartfelt or sad movies as this just makes the depression worse.
6. Read a book or your bible. There is a lot of inspiration in the bible. Job, especially, had nothing left to live for but he did overcome. He never stopped believing in God. It’s a good story to read.
We have all had negative things happen in the past. Some worse than others, but to you it can be some of the worse feelings you can have. That is not who you are. You are stronger than that and I’m sorry it happened to you. Don’t repeat, move up from it. You are worthy of a good life and you have today to make it better.
Sure, we make mistakes. It is important to learn from them and move forward. Don’t make the same mistake twice. If you say “sorry” but then do the exact same thing again, are you truly sorry for what you did? I think about the movie The Lion King. Rafiki hits Simba on the head. It hurt Sumba but when Rafiki tries to hit him again, Simba dodges it. Our mistakes hurt, but we learn from them. It is in the past, let it go. Don’t dwell on it.
You are beautiful and worthy. Stay strong.
Check out my Facebook page TheBipolarMomster. Please like and share. Feel free to comment.